What's In This Article?
Baby Boomers love to travel, and they’re in an enviable position that allows them to take more trips than most of the Silent Generation, Millennials, and Gen X’ers combined. The Boomer generation is mostly retired, their children are grown and they have savings that they are eager to spend on the things they didn’t have the freedom to do during their working and child raising years – especially travel.
Many Boomers, including me, are traveling quite a bit. Many of the trips we take are international and can last anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months. There are long flights, train rides, and a lot of moving around from hotel to hotel. This kind of travel is enjoyable but it can also be stressful.
We’ve discovered that although some stress is always going to be part of the deal when we travel, there are some things we can do to make things easier on ourselves.
Take a look at these 5 travel accessories we recommend. They are simple, easy to pack and with the exception of one these items, they all cost less than $50.
5 Travel Accessories We Recommend
We’ll go through a few different types of travel accessories later on in this article, outlining the things you should consider when comparing models and deciding which is best for you.
Right below, you’ll find a few of our top picks, all with links to trusted sellers on Amazon so you can buy in confidence and peace of mind.
Ayeway Portable Charger
A portable charger is not only a good travel accessory, but it’s also become a necessary one. Watching your phone battery drain is stressful. On a long day of travel, you’re probably using your phone a lot – to play music, watch videos, message family, or possibly even to make a couple of phone calls!
- Heavy-duty portable charger with a 26,800 mAh capacity
- Weighs 14.4 ounces, which is on the heavy side for a portable charger, but it carries enough “juice” to all you to charge your phone several times (up to 6 times)
- The AYEWAY 26800 has two charging ports, allowing you to charge multiple devices at the same time
- A futuristic LCD screen display allows you to easily track how much charge it has left
- Uses a lithium polymer cell battery for safety
- As it has a capacity below 100Wh, you are allowed to take it on flights in your carry-on bag
- It has a 4.5 star rating on Amazon with over 140 reviews
As an alternative to the Ayeway model, here’s the one we own. It doesn’t have the large display that the Ayeway model has but it has almost the same capacity and features and it would make an excellent choice. ► ► ►
Gonex Extensible Storage Mesh Bags Organizers
We love anything that helps us stay organized while we travel. We usually start our trips with carefully packed and very organized luggage. But it doesn’t take long before the inside of our suitcases become a mess, making it difficult to find things.
Inexpensive mesh organizer bags like the Gonex bags make staying organized much easier and the 6-piece package is a bargain at under $40.
- Set includes the following:
- 1 Large Bag (15.4x15x3.54 inches)
- 1 Medium Bag (11.8×9.1×3.54 inches)
- 1 Small Bag (9.8×7.5×3.54 inches)
- 1 Smallest Bag (7.9×5.9×3.54 inches)
- 1 Slim Bag (13×3.9×3.54 inches)
- 1 Laundry Bag (18.1×13 inches)
- Mesh-top panels make it easy to see what’s inside each cube
- Expandable, tear-resistant and water-repellent
- Available in 10 color choices
BCOZZY Ergonomic Travel Pillow
Sleeping on an airplane or train can be easy for some people, but not for me. Getting comfortable in such a small space while sitting almost straight up is tough and even if you can find a way to relax and fall asleep, waking up with a stiff neck isn’t unusual.
We discovered travel pillows years ago and they’ve made travel days much more pleasant. We’ve tried microbead filled pillows, memory foam pillows, and the kind you just blow up. The downside to most of the pillows we’ve tried is that so few of them stop your head from falling forward and when you’re trying to sleep in a sitting position, it’s almost a given that this is going to happen.
Here’s a fantastic ergonomic travel pillow from BCOZZY that offers great chin, neck, and head support. It is machine washable, comes in two sizes, and is a bargain at around $30.
- Supportive and durable neck cushion
- Has an ergonomic design to support your head while you’re sleeping or resting
- Promotes healthy posture while resting and alleviates pressure on your cervical spine
- Comes in two sizes: large and extra-large
- Comes in several different colors
- Machine washable, so you can easily keep it nice and clean
- Has a 4-star rating on Amazon from over 6,500 reviews
CompressionZ Unisex Compression Socks
Compression socks are very important travel accessories. Probably the most important one we’re covering in this article.
As we age, our risk of blood clots increases. This can be very dangerous especially on long flights when we don’t have much opportunity to walk around.
Check out this article from the Centers of Disease Control to learn more about the dangers of blood clots while traveling.
Compression socks are designed to improve blood circulation in the legs and help prevent blood clots. These socks from CompressionZ are unisex and come in various sizes and colors and are priced under $20.
- High quality unisex socks offering medical grade compression (30-40mmHG)
- They improve blood circulation to your feet and lower leg region to alleviate pains and aches
- Made of a durable, breathable fabric to keep sweating to a minimum
- Longer than many other compression socks to offer more support and relief
- Come in a great selection of colors
- Come in four sizes: Small, Medium, Large and Extra Large
- 4 star Amazon rating
COWIN E7 Active Noise Cancelling Headphones
I love listening to music when I travel. I create a new playlist for every trip. And when I’m listening, I don’t want to be distracted by “noise”. Loud talkers and crying babies on long flights make it difficult to enjoy my music, so when I discovered noise canceling headphones, I was thrilled.
Here’s an awesome pair of noise-canceling headphones from COWIN and they are clearly a big hit on Amazon, with an overall 4.5-star rating from close to 30,000 verified reviews. And at around $65 bucks, they’re way less expensive (and just as effective) as the very popular Bose headphones.
- Sturdy and effective pair of active noise-canceling headphones
- Has a stylish modern design and comes in a good selection of colors
- Can be used to cancel airplane cabin noise, in addition to traffic noise and shouting
- Utilizes Bluetooth so it can be used wirelessly
- Up to 30 hours playtime per full charge
- Comes with an 18 month manufacturer’s warranty
- Number 1 best seller in Amazon’s Over-Ear Headphones section
- Has a 4.5 star rating on Amazon from almost 30,000 reviews
Popular Types of Travel Accessories
A good travel organizer can be a great thing to take along on your next trip, as it allows you to keep track of your possessions and fit more of your belongings into your suitcase. They also make it much easier to find things in your bags.
There are various types of travel organizers out there, often with slightly different uses and features. They are sometimes sold in sets and may be designed to hold certain types of your belongings in particular, such as electronic devices and cables, though most models aren’t this specific.
Things to consider when choosing travel organizers:
- Is a certain model well suited to carrying your belongings?
- Can you see what’s inside each cube?
- Does it offer sufficient protection? Is it padded and waterproof?
- Is it large enough? Or on the other hand, is it too big and bulky?
- Does it come in a set? Will you need to buy more than one?
Noise Canceling Headphones
Noise-canceling headphones are perfect for boomers who would rather do away with the unpleasant sounds that everyone is all too familiar with then traveling. Whether you hate airplane cabin noise or people talking while you’re trying to get some rest, a pair of good noise-canceling headphones will make your travels much more pleasant.
They can also be used at home, so you’re sure to get your money’s worth out of them over time.
Things to consider when shopping for noise canceling headphones:
- Does a particular pair of noise cancelling headphones have good sound quality?
- What’s its battery life like? Will you have to charge it quite frequently?
- Do you like their design and aesthetics?
- Are they reasonably priced and do they represent good value for money?
- Do they come with a manufacturer’s warranty?
Portable Power Bank
Are you constantly finding yourself getting stressed out about your phone’s battery life while traveling? You’re not alone. Most travelers worry about battery life when abroad, as they’re terrified by the prospect of getting stuck in a foreign city without their trusty smartphone.
A portable power bank is a great, convenient way to charge your phone on the go while traveling or even when out and about in your city.
Things to look out for and consider:
- What capacity does it have and how many times can you charge your phone from a full battery in the bank?
- Is it too large and heavy to carry around?
- Is the battery durable and safe?
- How many charging ports does it have? Can you charge multiple devices at the same time?
- Are its charging ports compatible with your devices?
Compression socks apply pressure to your feet and lower legs, and are used to encourage and maintain blood flow and manage discomfort and swelling. They are highly recommended especially for older adults as they help prevent dangerous blood clots which are not uncommon on long flights.
While compression socks are particularly useful for boomers who are suffering from conditions such as varicose veins, they can be a great purchase for all boomers and seniors.
Things to look out for and consider:
- How much pressure do they apply?
- Are they durable?
- Are they made from a breathable material to minimize sweating?
- Do they cover most of the lower half of your legs? Or, do they just cover and provide relief for your feet?
For obvious reasons, a travel pillow can make your travels much more comfortable and pleasant. A good travel pillow offers support to your chin, neck and head while sleeping or just sitting.
It can also help improve your posture while seated and help you fall asleep while traveling, potentially reducing your jetlag and thus allowing you to better enjoy your destination.
Things to look out for and consider:
- Does it have an ergonomic design?
- Does it offer sufficient support for your head and neck?
- Is it washable?
- Is it large enough yet still reasonably compact and portable?
Whether your next trip is a long international one or a quick domestic, getaway, taking along some of our suggested travel accessories could help make your travel more enjoyable and less stressful.
As always, it’s advisable to shop around and compare different models before making a purchase. Or, alternatively, you can buy the products listed in the Top Picks section of this article above, as we’ve already done a lot of the research for you, comparing features, quality, and price.
It’s always helpful to have a rough budget in mind and it’s good to maintain some level of flexibility in case you find a product that is priced a little high but absolutely perfect for you.
A Quick Travel Accessory Summary
- Boomers and retirees enjoy traveling, and many boomers travel considerably more frequently than the average American.
- This is largely due to them having more time to kill and more money to spend, though there are other factors at play as well.
- Travel accessories can improve your travel endeavors in countless ways. For example, they can help you stay organized or help you feel more comfortable while traveling around.
- Some of the best travel accessories boomers can buy are travel pillows, portable power banks, noise-canceling headphones, compression socks, and travel organizers.
- When shopping around for each one there are several different things you should consider.
- For example, when comparing different noise-canceling earphones, you should consider sound quality, design, and durability, among other things. But when comparing portable power banks, you should focus on other things, such as capacity, the number of outlets it has, safety, and size.
- When looking for a model of each type of product to buy, you can either research and compare different models for yourself or save time by purchasing the products listed in our Top Picks section towards the top of this guide.