If you were born in 1946, you are among the very first of the Baby Boomer generation! 1946 was an eventful year with huge political and financial events that would shape the future of the world.
Those returning from World War II returned to widespread shortages in jobs, housing, food, and other materials. They believed that the economy would be much better than before the war.
Interesting Statistics From 1946
- US Population: 141.39 million
- Worldwide population: 4.38 billion
- Life expectancy: 66.7 years
- Price of gas: 15 cents per gallon
- Price of a new house: $5,600
Top News in 1946
- The United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) is created.
- The Nuremburg Trials end. Twelve Nazi war criminals are sentenced to execution, two are given life sentences, and two are acquitted. Hermann Göring, the founder of the Gestapo, poisons himself shortly before execution.
- The Tokyo War Crimes Tribunal convenes.
- The United Nations hold their first meeting and the League of Nations hold their last.
If You Were Born in 1946, Your Parents Witnessed These Historic Events
- Winston Churchill gives his famous “Iron Curtain” speech.
- ENIAC, the first programmable digital computer, is finished.
- Kenny Washington becomes the first African American player in the NFL since 1933 after being signed by the Los Angeles Rams.
- Tokyo Telecommunications Engineering, later to be known as Sony, is founded.
- The Philippines gain full independence from the U.S.
- The U.S. Atomic Energy Commission is created after President Harry Truman signs the Atomic Energy Act.
- 3,000 people die due to fighting between Muslims and Hindus in Calcutta.
- President Harry Truman signs Proclamation 2714, marking the official end to WWII hostilities.
1946 Pop Culture
- 1946 World Series: Saint Louis Cardinals defeat the Boston Red Sox 4-3.
- 1946 NFL Championship: Chicago Bears defeat the New York Giants 24-14.
- 1946 NBA Championship: Rochester Royals defeat the Sheboygan Redskins 3-0.
- 1946 Stanley Cup: Montreal defeats Boston
- Top-grossing movies in 1946: “The Best Years of Our Lives,” “Duel in the Sun,” “The Jolson Story”
- Top singles in 1946: “Prisoner of Love,” “To Each His Own,” “The Gypsy,” “Five Minutes More”
- Top books in 1946: “The King’s General,” “The Egg and I,” “All the King’s Men”
Who Else Was Born in 1946?
- Candice Bergen
- George W. Bush
- Dolly Parton
- Steven Spielberg
- Sylvester Stallone
- Donald Trump
Who Died in 1946?
- W. C. Fields
- Gertrude Stein
- H. G. Wells