If you were born in 1947, then you were born in the same year as the Cold War, the Jewish State of Israel, the Ferrari, the CIA, the first mobile phone, and more. Consumer demand continued to outstrip U.S. supply after World War II, and housing, cars, and other goods were scarce. British cars were popular and many inventions this year would change the world to come.
Interesting Statistics from 1947
- U.S. population: 144.13 million
- Worldwide population: 4.38 billion
- Life expectancy: 66.8 years
- Price of gas: 15 cents per gallon
- Price of a new house: $6,600
Top News in 1947
- The Paris Peace Treaties are signed.
- India and Pakistan become independent nations.
- UN recognizes the Independent Jewish State of Israel.
- The Cold War begins.
If You Were Born in 1947, Your Parents Witnessed These Historic Events
- The first Polaroid Camera is demonstrated at the Optical Society of America
- Jackie Robinson is the first African American Baseball player in the Major Leagues since the 1880s.
- President Harry Truman signs the Truman Doctrine to aid Greece and Turkey and to prevent Communism in those areas.
- The Exodus carries 4,500 Jewish Holocaust survivors from France to Palestine.
- President Harry Truman creates the CIA by signing the National Security Act.
- ENIAC, one of the first digital computers, is given a memory upgrade and turned on. It will run continuously for 8 years.
- The U.S. Air Force becomes its own, separate military branch.
- The International Monetary Fund starts operation after coming into formal existence in 1945
- The Secretary of State George Marshall announces the Marshall Plan, which takes the Truman Doctrine a step further and offers financial aid to any impoverished Western European country.
- An experimental flight of the Bell X-1 breaks the sound barrier for the first time in history.
- The transistor is invented.
- Thor Heyerdahl goes on the Kon-Tiki expedition to prove how humans could have migrated to Polynesia before the 1400s.
1947 Pop Culture
- 1947 World Series: New York Yankees defeat Brooklyn Dodges 4-3.
- 1947 NFL Championship: Chicago Cardinals defeat Philadelphia Eagles 28-21.
- 1947 NBL Championship: Philadelphia Warriors defeat Chicago Stags 4-1.
- 1947 Stanley Cup: Toronto Maple Leafs defeat Montreal Canadiens 4-2.
- Top-grossing movies in 1947: “Welcome Stranger,” “The Egg and I,” “Unconquered”
- Top singles in 1947: “Near You,” “Peg o’ My Heart,” “Heartaches”
- Top books in 1947: “The Miracle of the Bells,” “Peace of Mind,” “The Diary of a Young Girl”
Who Else Was Born in 1947?
- Stephen King
- Hillary Clinton
- David Bowie
- Tom Clancy
- Steve Forbes
- Arnold Schwarzenegger
- O. J. Simpson
Who Died in 1947?
- Al Capone
- Henry Ford
- Max Planck