If you were born in 1953, you were born in the same year as the videotape recorder, Epic Records, color television, James Bond, and more. During this time, the use of credit became more popular and unions were growing stronger.
Interesting Statistics from 1953
- U.S. population: 160.18 million
- Worldwide population: 4.38 billion
- Life expectancy: 68.8 years
- Price of gas: 20 cents
- Price of a new house: $9,550
- Annual wage: $4,000
Top News in 1953
If You Were Born in 1953, Your Parents Witnessed These Historic Events
- Joseph Stalin dies.
- McCarthyism reaches peak popularity.
- Cambodia achieves independence.
- TV Guide launches.
- Transistor radios go on sale.
- The discovery of DNA’s helix structure is published by James Watson and Francis Crick.
- REM sleep is discovered.
- First evidence is found that cigarettes can cause lung cancer.
- The summit of Mount Everest is climbed for the first time.
- Julius and Ethel Rosenberg are executed for spying for the Soviet Union.
- Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi is returned to power in Iran with the help of the CIA.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower becomes the president of the U.S.
1953 Pop Culture
- 1953 World Series: New York Yankees defeat Brooklyn Dodgers 4-2.
- 1953 NFL Championship: Detroit Lions defeat Cleveland Browns 17–16.
- 1953 NBA Championship: Minneapolis Lakers defeat New York Knicks 4-1.
- 1953 Stanley Cup: Montreal Canadiens defeat Boston Bruins 4-1.
- Top-grossing movies in 1953: “The Robe,” “This is Cinerama,” “From Here to Eternity”
- Top singles in 1953: “The Song from Moulin Rouge,” “Vaya con Dios,” “How Much Is That Doggie in the Window?”
- Top books in 1953: “The Robe,” “The Holy Bible: Revised Standard Edition,” “Go Tell it on the Mountain,” “Fahrenheit 451”
Who Else Was Born in 1953?
- Hulk Hogan
- Cyndi Lauper
- Tim Allen
- Pierce Brosnan
- Charlie Wilson
- Xi Jinping
- Tony Shalhoub
Who Died in 1953?
- Queen Mary
- Eugene O’Neill
- Jacques Thiabaud
- Joseph Stalin