If you were born in 1956, you share your birth year with the hard disk, FICO, non-stick frying pans, videotape, and more. In this year, more people were pursuing higher education than ever before and mothers could now buy disposable diapers for the first time in this year.
Interesting Statistics from 1956
- U.S. population: 168.90 million
- Worldwide population: 4.38 billion
- Life expectancy: 69.7 years
- Price of gas: 22 cents
- Price of a new house: $11,700
- Annual wage: $4,450
Top News in 1956
- The Suez Crisis occurs after Egypt nationalizes the Suez Canal.
- Browder v. Gayle rules that Alabama’s segregation laws in regards to buses are unconstitutional.
- The Federal Aid Highway Act is signed and the Interstate Highway System is formed.
If You Were Born in 1956, Your Parents Witnessed These Historic Events
- De-Stalinization begins in the Soviet Union.
- Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Carl Perkins come together in what was dubbed as the “Million Dollar Quartet” by the press.
- Norma Mortenson changes her name to Marilyn Monroe.
- Grace Kelly, the actress, marries Prince Rainier of Monaco.
- Rocky Marciano retires from boxing.
- Fidel Castro arrives in Cuba and the Cuban revolution starts.
- The Hungarian October Revolution occurs and Hungary is invaded by Soviet forces.
- The U.S. Army flag is dedicated and shown to the public at Independence Hall.
1956 Pop Culture
- 1956 World Series: New York Yankees defeat Brooklyn Dodgers 4-3.
- 1956 NFL Championship: New York Giants defeat Chicago Bears 47–7.
- 1956 NBA Championship: Philadelphia Warriors defeat Fort Wayne Pistons 4-1.
- 1956 Stanley Cup: Montreal Canadiens defeat Detroit Red Wings 4-1.
- Top-grossing movies in 1956: “The Ten Commandments,” “Around the World in 80 Days,” “Giant”
- Top singles in 1956: “Heartbreak Hotel,” “Don’t Be Cruel,” “Lisbon Antigua”
- Top books in 1956: “Don’t Go Near the Water,” “Arthritis and Common Sense,” “The Power Elite”
Who Else Was Born in 1956?
- Tom Hanks
- Bob Saget
- Carrie Fisher
- Larry Bird
- Theresa May
- Mel Gibson
- David Copperfield
- Anastasia Soare
Who Died in 1956?
- Tommy Dorsey
- Connie Mack
- Jackson Pollock