If you were born in 1957, you share a birth year with the personal computer, the frisbee, Food Lion, the novel “Atlas Shrugged,” the Broadway musicals “West Side Story” and “The Music Man,” and more. In this year, cars become more powerful and stylized, the use of credit continues to grow in popularity, and a recession begins.
Interesting Statistics from 1957
- U.S. population: 171.98 million
- Worldwide population: 4.38 billion
- Life expectancy: 69.5 years
- Price of gas: 24 cents per gallon
- Price of a new house: $12,220
- Annual wage: $4,550
Top News in 1957
- Soviet Russia successfully launches Sputnik 1, the first satellite. Sputnik 2 launches in the same year, bringing a dog to space.
- Civil Rights Act of 1957 goes into effect and the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights is formed.
If You Were Born in 1957, Your Parents Witnessed These Historic Events
- George Metesky, the “Mad Bomber,” is arrested.
- Avian flu spreads to the U.S.
- Viet Cong Guerrillas begin a terrorism campaign in South Vietnam.
- The “Eisenhower Doctrine” is announced in order to reduce the spread of communism.
- The European Economic Community, the precursor to European Union, is established.
- The Little Rock Nine are enrolled at Little Rock Central High School in Arkansas. Federal troops help them enter the school, and eight of the nine complete the school year.
- The first birth control pill is approved, but only for extreme menstrual problems.
- Brooklyn Dodgers move to Los Angeles.
- Toyota establishes a U.S. headquarters and starts selling cars here.
1957 Pop Culture
- 1957 World Series: Milwaukee Braves defeat New York Yankees 4-3.
- 1957 NFL Championship: Detroit Lions defeat Cleveland Browns 59–14.
- 1957 NBA Championship: Boston Celtics defeat St. Louis Hawks 4-3.
- 1957 Stanley Cup: Montreal Canadiens defeat Boston Bruins 4-1.
- Top-grossing movies in 1957: “The Bridge on the River Kwai,” “Peyton Place,” “Sayonara”
- Top singles in 1957: “All Shook Up,” “Love Letters in the Sand,” “Little Darlin”
- Top books in 1957: “By Love Possessed,” “Kids Say the Darndest Things!,” “On the Road,” “The Cat in the Hat”
Who Else Was Born in 1957?
- Steve Harvey
- Bernie Mac
- Bret Hart
- Gloria Estefan
- Steve Buscemi
- Ray Romano
- Fran Drescher
- Hans Zimmer
Who Died in 1957?
- Humphrey Bogart
- Richard E. Byrd
- Joseph McCarthy
- Arturo Toscanini